Duluth Public Library Volunteer Policy
The Duluth Public Library understands that the engagement and active participation of citizens is important to achieving its goals. Therefore, the Library accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers and interns. All departments and staff are encouraged to assist in the creation of meaningful volunteer and internship opportunities within their work units.
Potential volunteers for the Library must meet requirements set forth by the City as indicated in this policy.
- Volunteers are not “employees” of the City and will be recruited for a specific tasks or functions rather than on a general basis. Volunteers will provide special, unusual, or supplemental services.
- There will be no implied contract of acceptance for a potential volunteer’s service upon the receipt of a volunteer’s application. All potential volunteers must go through the City’s screening process to ensure suitability for the volunteer opportunity. A volunteer must be officially accepted and enrolled, including a background check (as applicable) by the City prior to performance of volunteer tasks.
- The City does not provide medical coverage or liability insurance for volunteers. Volunteers are covered under workers’ compensation only in limited circumstances. All volunteers must sign off on a Voluntary Waiver and Release of Liability. All incidents and/or injuries sustained by a volunteer during service must be reported through the City’s Incident Report process.
- Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age and must meet the age requirements of the volunteer opportunity for which they are seeking enrollment. Any volunteer under the age of 18 must have written permission from a parent or guardian.
- Youth under the age of 14 may volunteer at one-time, special events either as part of a group or organization whose membership consists of children under age 14 or if they are volunteering with a parent/guardian, providing the volunteer project is age appropriate. The sponsoring group or organization must provide all of the adult supervision necessary for all minors to perform the activity safely. The City shall not be responsible for providing adult supervision for groups that include minor volunteers.
EMPLOYEES AS VOLUNTEERS
The City of Duluth accepts the services of staff as volunteers. This service is accepted provided that the volunteer service is completely voluntary, involves work outside the employee’s normal duties, and is provided outside of the employee’s normal working hours. Family members of staff are allowed to volunteer; however, they shall not be placed under the direct supervision of a family member who is an employee, except for a one-time or special event with written consent from the employee’s supervisor.
The Duluth Public Library's policies are subject to change without notice.
Back to Policies
Adopted May 2016
Duluth Public Library Board