Tax Preparation Help at the Library
Volunteers from UMD will be at the Main Library in the Gold Room (Michigan Street level). Their schedule will be:
Mondays: 2 - 7 pm
Saturdays: 10:15 am - 3:30 pm
The last day the volunteers will be here is Saturday, April 9
Bring the following materials to your tax help session:
- Social Security numbers for everyone listed on the tax return (including children)
- Birth dates of everyone listed on the tax return
- Photo I.D.
- Last year's tax return
- W-2 forms, 1099 forms and any other taxable and nontaxable income statements or forms
- Receipts for charitable donations
- Property taxes paid in 2015 on your home
- Form 1095-A (if you received one
- Daycare expenses (include provider's name, address and tax ID or Social Security number)
- Receipts for purchase of school-related material for K-12 students
- Form 1098-T for college, technical college or other post-secondary schools
- Form 1098-E if interest was paid on a student loan
- Bank account number for direct deposit oof refund
- RENTERS: Form CRP from your landlord
- HOMEOWNERS: 2016 property tax bill
This tax preparation help is available to households with incomes under $54,000.
For questions or information regarding the volunteer tax help, please go to https://lsbe.d.umn.edu/accounting/vita.php or call the UMD Accounting Department Office: 726-7966.
Additional Tax Preparation Help Sites:
UMD volunteers will be also be available in:
Rooms LSBE 134 & 144
Labovitz School of Business & Economics
1318 Kirby Drive
Wednesdays 2 - 7:30 pm (February 10 & 17; March 2, 16 & 30; April 6)
Saturdays 10 am - 3:30 pm (February 6, 13 & 20; March 19; April 2 & 9)
Community Action Duluth is providing tax help Tuesday, January 26 through Monday, April 18, 2016:
Community Action Duluth main office
2424 W. 5th St., Ste. 102
Mondays & Tuesdays, doors open at 4:30 pm
Saturdays, doors open at 8:45 am
Walk-ins only; no appointment necessary.
People may line up 1-2 hours before doors open, so check their Facebook page for realtime updates or be sure to arrive early
Call 218-726-1665 for more information.
More tax help websites
PLEASE NOTE: Library staff are not trained to help with tax questions.
Please contact the IRS or the Minnesota Department of Revenue for help from the experts.
You may be able to file your taxes online for free if your household has a combined income of $62,000 or less in 2015.
Follow the steps here: MyFreeTaxes.com. You will connect to the main site where you can file both state and federal taxes for free, using software from H&R Block.
Once you've filed your state and federal taxes, you may file for the Minnesota Property Tax refund.
Free online tax filing is made possible by a grant to Community Action Duluth.
For tax forms:
- there is a dedicated tax-form computer in the top floor Reference & Information area. You may print 10 pages for free; ask library staff for help.
- check the IRS Office lobby in the Civic Center Federal Building for forms
- IRS - Forms and Publications
- call 1-800-taxforms
- Minnesota tax forms
Federal and State Offices
Internal Revenue Service - Duluth Regional Office
515 W. 1st St., Federal Bldg. - Room 105
Duluth, MN 55802
(218-626-1624 Press 1 for Duluth. There is no live telephone assistance.)
Tax Information: 800-829-1040; Forms & Publications: 800-829-3676
Recorded Tax & Refund Information: 800-829-4477
No state return preparation
2016 Tax Season Hours:
Monday through Friday - 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Forms available in lobby.
Web site: www.irs.gov
Minnesota Department of Revenue
600 N. Robert St.
St. Paul, MN 55101
For questions about individual income tax, please contact:
or call: 651-296-3781 or 800-652-9094
TTY: Call 711 for Minnesota Relay
Phone Assistance Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Web site: www.taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/
Mail questions to:
Minnesota Department of Revenue
Mail Station 5510
St. Paul, MN 55146
Mail tax returns to:
Minnesota Individual Income Tax
St. Paul, MN 55145-0010